Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
(jclause) writes:
Over 30 years ago, in the ceiling of our warehouse, I installed
2 incandescent sockets side-by-side and wired them in series. I
inserted 60 watt bulbs which gave about the light output I
wanted for a night light. They burn rather dim, and the original
bulbs are still going, day and night. Makes for a dependable
night light.

So, a 60W lamp running at half voltage is about 21W power consumption
and about 10% of full light output, i.e. equivalent to a 6W lamp.
A 4W fluorescent tube which is going to be roughly similar light
output to the two underrun lamps.

So, I guess you've been wasting (2 x 21) - 4 = 38W for 30 years
in lamp inefficiency due to underrunning inappropriate lamps,
which comes to a total of 10 megawatt-hours of wasted energy.
That would have cost me £1000 (1800$US) at todays prices.
You would have needed around 10 new tubes over that period,
but those would have cost you less than 2% of the money wasted.

--
Andrew Gabriel