IMM

Default New Electrical Regulations

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:07:04 +0100, "Jaime"
wrote:

I though it seemed like a industry protectionist thing, what's to stop me
just joining the trade organisation or do they have requirements? Also

what
about other trade organisations, perhaps connected perhaps not - could a
Plummer do electrical work or a gas fitter etc..

Jaime

There's an entry cost in terms of training and annual fees that would
make it economically unattractive if you are only doing your own work.
Also, I believe with NICEIC, you have to have a number of different
jobs checked anyway.

If you want to span multiple trades then you would have to belong to
multiple organisations. This would prove very expensive.

As Richard says, this is the 21st century version of the closed shop,
rather thinly disguised, I am afraid.

Fortunately, as with all restrictive practices, ultimately it doesn't
work - the market prevents it.

Balls! Oxbridge, public schools, the royal family, aristocracy, large land
owners. Strange that these people close shop the corridors of power. Power
= wealth. When the working classes emulated via unions they went ape. How
dare they copy us they said, under their breath, we will have to ban them.
And they did, while their closed shop continues unabated as it has done for
around 1000 years.

---