RoyJ

Don't feel too bad. We alternate between TIG and MIG on race car frames.
When we MIG, it takes an hour of test runs by my best welder to get just
the right voltage, wire speed, and welder confidence. Then he does a
whole frame in less than a couple of hours. No grinding, minimal
spatter, nice tight beads.

Jim Newell wrote:
I have been practicing welding with my MIG. I think I am getting good
welds. I beat on them, and they don't seem to break.

What I am bugged about is the "fit and finish" of the process. I see sites
that show different welds, and they look great. For example I saw a Ducati
motorcycle frame that claimed to be MIG welded, and it was
superb....apparently no grinding or other cleanup.

Is it just a lack of skill on my part, or is there always a ton of cleanup,
grinding, etc...to get a nice looking fit and finish?