Jim Newell

Default Welding woes

I have been practicing welding with my MIG. I think I am getting good
welds. I beat on them, and they don't seem to break.

What I am bugged about is the "fit and finish" of the process. I see sites
that show different welds, and they look great. For example I saw a Ducati
motorcycle frame that claimed to be MIG welded, and it was
superb....apparently no grinding or other cleanup.

Is it just a lack of skill on my part, or is there always a ton of cleanup,
grinding, etc...to get a nice looking fit and finish?