Jerry Foster

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:EEnpe.8909$tr.5717@fed1read03...
I got one of those cheap-o HF band saws. The horizontal one. I think it

is
called a 4". Their $149 special.

I got some 14tpi blades for cutting .065 tubing. Occasionally, I will cut
some stouter stuff, but mainly tubing.

I noticed that this is eating blades a little faster than I think it

should.
(I think they should last for 5-7 years.) But, I have been using it quite

bit, and have gone through two blades already.

I was looking at the directions on the new blade, and noticed that there

is
a 10tpi that is recommended for metal cutting. These are the Home Depot
variety blades, I believe Ridgid.

Should I go to a 10tpi, or is this just what they do?

Steve

I have one of those machines, too. I run (cheap) 16 tpi Starrett blades in
it and use it mostly for cutting rectangular tubing. It works great. The
blades aren't exactly immortal, but, overall, the blade cost is a couple
cents per cut. I also have a big, old Wilton with a coolant system on it.
I run a 4 tpi bi-metal blade in it and use it for bigger (NEVER anything
less than an inch wide) solid stuff. (The little HF machine is pretty slow
on that stuff after the blade has cut a few tubes...)

Jerry