Tim Lamb

In message , Asher Hoskins
writes
On 2005-06-08, Tim Lamb wrote:
I rather doubt the packing density available from a conventional baler
would allow such a wall to support anything other than itself. I suppose
some form of *glue* could be introduced during the baling operation much
as we currently inject additives for round baling silage.

It seems that the ideal is to get the farmer making the bales to set the
baling machine to maximum density and when you build you have largish
(several inches) settlement gaps above doors and windows which you fill
in later.

Conventional balers are already set fairly tight for wheat straw. The
principle is to *squeeze* the bale leaving the machine which back
pressures the one being assembled in the chamber. Much greater densities
are available for mini Hesston bales but these are not man portable.

This web page:

http://www.strawbalefutures.org.uk/projects.htm

shows a two-storey loadbearing (ie. no wooden frame) strawbale house
that was built in Ireland a few years ago so it is possible (assuming
the house is still standing! :-)).

They look like conventional bales!

regards
--