John Fryatt

Cobalt wrote:
| Recently, it has started flicking off for a fraction of a second,
| accompanied by a little crackle noise. The screen starts to go dim and
| the image seems to expand a little off the edges, but then it comes back
| on again and returns to the correct size.
| Sometimes this may happen 4-5 times in quick succession, then not again
| for 30 minutes or so, then it might do it twice and again after only 2
| minutes. I.e. pretty random.

you can try a heat gun or cold spray on certain parts in the monitor, and
look for sensitivity that activated that condition.
the expanding image likely means insufficient high voltage from the flyback
xfmr. you could have cold solder on the flyback pins, or just a flyback that
is on
its way out soon, and one day the monitor will probably have no image at all
displayed. you can probably purchase the flyback online at a reasonable
price if you knew its part number - usually as indicated with a white
sticker stuck on the flyback.

this site has a good research form for locating a flyback
http://www.technotronic-dimensions.c..._RESEARCH.html and also a lot of
pages of monitor flyback listed on the site map.

when you change a flyback, its a good idea to replace the horizontal output
transistor at the same time too, for optimum performance, even if it still
tests ok.

Okaaay. I was kind of hoping for something simple, and to me this is not
simple. ;-) I'll have a look re. the solder thing, but after that I
think the monitor is headed for the skip once it dies. I only paid £14
(approx $26) for it so no big loss. It's more the hassle involved that
is annoying. It'll teach me that you get what you pay for. :-(

Thanks for the advice.

John