John McCoy

wrote in news:1118215703.471050.56820
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Hi all.

I am planning a sideboard piece with a carcass structure using frame
and panel design. I want the panels to be made from a translucent
white(ish) material with the look of a smooth natural stone -- think
alabaster. However, I understand that true stone such as marble would
be much too fragile in the thickness range (1/4 - 3/8") that I would
need for floating panels.

It sounds like you want "cultured onyx" (which is powdered stone in
a resin binder - ends up acting like a cross between stone & plastic.
Corian is a similar product). Will the stone panels be only in the
sides, or also in the top? If it's only in the sides, I would think
the cultured onyx would be amply strong. You might consider putting
some tracery or gridwork over it, just to add a bit of stiffness,
the "cultured" products can flex somewhat like a plastic panel.
Remember that stone isn't going to move like a wooden panel, so you
can design the frame to support it more strongly.

If you check the yellow pages for kitchen & bath remodelers, you'll
likely find someone who can show you the material, and probably
cast a sheet of it to your specs.

John