Robatoy

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
news:giCpe.35776$nG6.4668@attbi_s22...
1/4" solid solid stone used to be fragile, not anymore.
There is a new product called ThinSlabz

http://www.surfacingproducts.com/slabz.php

Looks like it might get a decent place in the surfacing market. Wonder what
it costs, how heavy it is, how hard to cut, how easy/hard to apply? Guess
time will tell.

That has been tried with a product called Brevetta from Technograniti.
It has enormous strength for 3/8" granite material providing the load is
toward the backing.
They used to demonstrate that by putting a sheet on two sawhorses and a
man would jump on the middle of it.
HOWEVER... when two guys picked up a sheet in the middle, it would
crumble and cracks would form all over. Such is the nature of the beast.
One-directional strength.
Quite a few guys lost their shirt trying to build countertops with it,
because it looks like granite, because it is granite and wears like
granite. All you had to do was get it to the jobsite in one piece.

One of the biggest problems was that the sheets were always a wee bit
concave and as soon as you laid them on a flat surface, it would
crack...not come apart, just crack.

I know where there a couple of diamond beam saws for sale.

I'm really glad I only sold about a dozen of those tops.... smaller ones.

I just noticed that the Technograniti website no longer
functions...imagine that.