mike hide

"David" wrote in message
After numerous light coats of shellac on walnut, I'm unable to remove
the light residue from the pores from either: dry sanding with 1000, wet
sanding 1000, gray or white pads. The shellac leaves residue in the
pores that I can't wipe out with a wet rag or by vacuuming. To remove
them I have to recoat. The problem is the sheen isn't PERFECT, so I
still need to buff the final coat. I tried wet pumice (dark gray) but
the sheen isn't what I want.

solution?

Here is my suggestion , sand out the shellac coat with whatever grade paper
you desire clean off with a clean rag and mineral spirits .now apply a coat
of thinned asphaltum which will darken anything left in the pores then wipe
off with a clean rag ,pulling the asphalum off the surface but leaving it in
the pores.

Shoot with a a couple of coats of good quality laquer. let dry overnight
and rub out with wool wax and 4 zeros steel wool using water as a lubricant
..

by the way if you are going to continue using shellac then try using a 3 lb
cut,a 1 lb cut is too thin....mjh