Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Anti-Virus" wrote:

I had a talk with the guy again, he seems to have 38 years experiance in
wooden antique clocks.
He tlod me that if you dry it until 6 - 8% moister, something happends to
the wood structior.
Inside the wood it will no longer become 14% by sucking up from the
atmospheer.
But the surface of the wood will still take some moister in but not the
entire thickness.

Anybody familiar with this?

Albert, this line of thinking goes against all that I've ever read on
the subject. Frankly I've never heard such a thought before.

As I understand it, the wood will absolutely take on or give off
moisture to match the surrounding ambient humidity from the outer
surface all the way to the center. It may take a long time to "refill"
the center portion of kiln-dried stock from very low moisture content,
but given enough time in a higher humidity environment it'll reach
equilibrium eventually. A finish coat will slow that process down but
it's inevitable as far as I know.

One of the advantages of using drier than equilibrium MC for the planned
location is that joints would tighten after it's assembled - if assembly
occurs before the wood regains that is.

Do you have a specific question concerning the application of kiln-dried
vs. air stock? (too lazy to look up your original post)