Drain cleaners?
--------------

good idea. I'm not quite sure if they qualify as cleaners, what does
the group think? Certainly useful, either way, so might as well.

acid-type based on sulphuric
- thick liquid

alkali based on caustic soda
- available as thick liquid or powder

don't mix them :-|

danger if chemical fails to clear drain and mechanical clearing e.g.
rodding, plunging then attempted

what is the danger?

also biological type, works slowly (days/weeks rather than minutes/hours) so
more for keeping prob drains clear or slowly clearing partly blocked drain.

thanks for another section

Solvents
--------

Nitromors: Methylene chloride, paint and varnish stripper. Produces
fumes

attacks some plastics etc (friend of sprog's tried to remove unsuccessful
paint job from model boat with it, ended up destroying plastic of boat)

Limescale removers:
-------------------

Sulphamic acid: the most popular acid in limescale removing toilet
cleaners.

Sulphuric acid: stronger than sulphamic but costs more.

And is more harmful, especially in high concentrations.

harmful to what, in what way?

Hydrochloric acid: powerful and fast.

Could be more specific about metal(s). Brick cleaner concentration takes a
very long time (c weeks) to dissolve copper, and probably does nothing to
iron.

I'll test it, I just assumed it would eat iron for breakfast.

Re weeks, there is always a likelihood of any cleaner being left behind
in small amounts in corners ets, so I dont think I'd advise using HCl
on any metal.

I expect it reacts more vigorously with light alloys (not sure if
Ali's natural AlO2 skin protects it). Definitely tarnishes Chrome (and may
attack vitreous enamel on baths?) so don't use for limescale in bathrooms
etc.

its sold for use on vitreous toilets, (tesco limescale removing toilet
cleaner) and leaves them looking pretty good, so I think it would be
ok. Whether it can be used on plastic baths I dont know.

Remaining Questions:

is caustic soda usful for paint removal?

yes, either au naturel as a liquid for dipping or in gel/paste formulation
e.g. Ronstrip which can cling to vertical surfaces while the caustic soda
takes effect

ok, and I guess the easy way to paste it is with lime.

Thanks, NT