Morris Dovey

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all.

I am planning a sideboard piece with a carcass structure using frame
and panel design. I want the panels to be made from a translucent
white(ish) material with the look of a smooth natural stone -- think
alabaster. However, I understand that true stone such as marble would
be much too fragile in the thickness range (1/4 - 3/8") that I would
need for floating panels.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is 1/4" Corian translucent
enough that it lets light shine through? I have also considered frosted
glass but think it might allow too much light and have that green look.
Any other suggestions (and sources for materials) are much appreciated.
I am open to both natural and engineered products.

Adam...

You might find the discussion and photos at
http://www.talkshopbot.com/cgi-bin/d...24430#POST2443
0 of interest. The participants are discussing cutting photographic images
into Corian (lithophanes). You might join the discussion and ask there also.

--
Morris