George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Yep. There are an awful lot of old freight lines that are used for
nothing more than parking lots for rusty old boxcars around here. I'm
sure there are plenty right-of-ways if anyone cared to set up a
system. I imagine there are all sorts of tax incentives for commuter
rail that would pay for the upgrades as well.

You hadn't noticed the change from Wisconsin Central to CP?

Just-in-time inventory and the decline in bulk products from extractive
industries like the mines they wouldn't open at Lac De Flambeau have pretty
much done for rail traffic. That, and, as I mentioned, right-of-way
improvements require upgrade to the new standards, while repair just fixes
existing damage.

As for commuter rail, unless you plan a forty year legal fight lead time,
you're not getting right-of-way into the city.