Prometheus

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:19:34 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

After extracting the useful isotopes (cesium, etc for medical uses, et. al.),
the remainder can be reprocessed into useful fuel. The quite small amount
left after reprocessing can be easily sequestered in Yucca mountain or a
salt mine in Kansas until mankind finds a use for it.

I'm a far cry from a physicist, and I imagine that an average nuclear
power plant doesn't come anywhere near the efficiency of the E=MC^2
equation, but even if is several thousand times less efficient, those
plants really can't be making much waste- can they? I really have no
idea, so don't go jumping down my throat about it- I'm just curious.
If a spent fuel rod is fairly small, and we can get a whole lot of
them in a concrete and lead-lined bunker, who cares if it has to sit
for a while until we find a use for them? Put 'em next to all the
nuke silos, and you don't even have to have extra guards...