Rick

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I found a gizmo at the dump that had a small propane cylinder (about

1/2
the volume of a 14 oz cylinder). Propane, I think - it has propane
cylinder threads and the gizmo had a flame detector at the end of

the
pipe. And it had a tap on it that pierces the cylinder, but does

not
have a built-in valve.

Pix he
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/cylinder.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/tap.jpg

The cylinder's sealing disk can be replaced, but I wouldn't think

that
this "schedule" cylinder would be reusable.

I never seen this size cylinder, nor one that needed to be pierced.
Anybody know what they're used for? And why the piercing (the only
thing that I've thought of is the elimination of the check valve

that
normal cylinders have)?

Inquiring minds ...
Bob

I'm gonna guess and say it's part of a halide torch (to detect
refrigerant leaks)