Doug Miller

In article , "Colbyt" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "Colbyt"

wrote:

I have no license. I did just have a house rewired. I have also been a

DYI
guy for a number of years. Keep them away from anywhere that some one

may
step on them and it is okay to run them across the joist on the the top

of
the joist.

Wrong.

"The installation of [NM ("Romex")] cable in accessible attics or roof

spaces
shall also comply with Section 333-12." [NEC, Article 336-13, NM Cable in
Accessible Attics

That section reads:

"cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as

specified in
(a) and (b) below.

(a) where run across the top of floor joists, or within 7 feet of floor or
floor joists across the faces of rafters or studding, the cable shall be
protected by substantial guard strips that are at least as high as the

cable."

If and when you need to bring it towards the center of the
attic, bring it straight up to the rafter and then take it to where you
need to connect the fan. Keep it along the lower 2" of the rafter and
support it with a proper cable staple every 16" or so.

Also wrong (see above).

Doug if you want to email me direct I will give you the contact numbers to
discuss this with the local electrical inspector.

If your local electrical inspector approves it, then it's ok in your local
jurisdiction - but it's *not* OK under the NEC, and a blanket statement such
as you made ["it's okay to run them across the joist"] is not true.

In all fairness, I think we may be disagreeing over the term "floor joists".

No, I don't think so.

My answer was for an attic area designed for limited or no storage area.

Then you should have said so. Even in that case, the Code still has specific
requirements beyond simply "keep[ing] them away from anywhere that someone may
step on them."

--
Regards,