Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:P9qpe.2425
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

I don't see much reason why rail lines couldn't be run down the medians
of
existing interstates, similarly to the commuter rail service in and out
of
Chicago. And there are plenty of *existing* rail lines on *existing*
rights of way that could be upgraded, doubtless at less expense than

leasing
*new* rights of way and constructing new lines.

Did you ever notice what _else_ is in those medians at most underpasses?
Concrete pillars....

So how hard is it to go one side or the other? That doesn't seem to have
been
much of a problem in Chicago; I can't imagine it would be more difficult
figure out anywhere else.

Where do you guys live? Along many of the interstates here in the
northeast, you'd be hard pressed to ride a scooter let alone put rail lines.
There is NO median, just a barrier. Drive I-95 from Philly to Boston and
see how much rail you can lay. I know a Plate B boxcar has an inside height
of 10' 7" but I don' tknow the outside. Bridge clearance could also be a
problem. McKinley cars are 18' high. That puts the median 5" below the
grade of the highway.

I'm sure the idea has merit in some areas, but it is not easy to do in
others.