Andy Hall

Default New Electrical Regulations

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 23:15:59 +0100, "Jaime"
wrote:

As the OP stated the situation would be worse than for gas fitting,
frankly it will be unenforceable.

And is more likely to cause deaths I would expect. Where in the past
someone may have thought "I will install these five new sockets on a new
ring" they may now be tempted to add them as spurs to existing wiring
since that would be a "permitted" change that would not need
certification. Hence it is encouring people to make changes in way that
is less safe just so as to have them classed as minor and hence avoid
certification problems.

Also whats to stop someone doing some work in 2005 and if/when asked about
certification saying it was completed in 2003 before the regulations?

Jaime

As in all these things the real testing point would come as a result
of some other event, most likely in this case the sale of the
property.

Undoubtedly conveyancing questionnaires would contain an appropriate
question to pick this up. Telling fibs as a vendor in this case
would be a serious matter.

Since it appears that seller's packs are likely to become more
prevalent and funded by the vendor, one strategy that I expect a lot
of people will use would be simply to wait until they want to sell
and then pay for a full electrical inspection, which they would have
to do anyway.

Another strategy might be to apply for a regularisation at the local
authority.

This is one of the many aspects of this whole charade that makes the
whole thing pointless.

You will notice if you look on Bruiser's web site that this game of
certification by trade organisations is one of the hobby horses and is
one of the most cynical pieces of window dressing for a long time.

If you read through the report on this, it is very apparent that only
the views of industry stakeholders and the trade organisations have
been taken into account. By their own admission, they have ignored
the views of everybody else who has written in either directly or via
their MPs.

This, along with the multitude of other sins of this cavalier nature
will hopefully lead to the early demise of its political perpetrators.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl