Pat Barber

More is better in air compressors. A 80 gallon, 5HP
two stage is your classic "best bet".

A buddy of mine tried sand blasting with a small
unit and it was a joke.

More is better in sand blasting.

Air sanders are also major "air hogs".

More is better in air powered ROS.

brianlanning wrote:

I'm getting ready to buy a lot of large tools, one of which is a
compressor. I'm having a real hard time deciding how big to make it.
My goal is to get a largish one so that I can do whatever I want in the
future. I can't say that money is no object, but I can spend some
serious money on it. I don't need portability since I have a small
porter-cable pancake compressor for that. I'd also like an upright one
to save floor space. I'd like for it to be quiet, so an oil-lubed
compressos is best. I'll use it maybe an hour a day during the week,
then all day on a saturday as an example. I also have 220, so that's
not a problem.

They seem to cluster into several price ranges. There's the $500
group, the $800 group, and the $1500 group. I'd like to get one from
the $500 group so I can spend the extra money elsewhere. I'm prepared
to spend the $800 though to get what I want. The $1500 is probably out
of the question. Here's a quick list of what I want to use it for:

Automotive stuff like impact wrenches.

I'd like to be able to spray finishes for furniture and possible
automotive paint, hvlp or otherwise.

Nailers (this is trivial)

Hand-held tools like random orbit sanders.

I think you can use your compressor with a vacuum press, but I haven't
done the research yet.

I can see getting into car restoration, so sand blasting is a definite
possability.

I know I could look up all the scfm at psi numbers for each of these
things and then compare it to the compressor rating, but I'm not sure
that would give a complete picture. My pancake can run the impact
wrench, but it runs too much. And I have other questions like would I
notice the difference between 60 and 80 gallons? If both run only once
a day, I don't need the 80. What's the general feeling? Is there a
sweet spot for advanced home users?

brian