John Rumm

JohnB wrote:

Can someone please advise me of the best practice for chasing ( and
finishing) a slot in a plaster + brick/ breezblock wall to take power
and video cables from about 2ft off the floor to behind the screen (
6ft high). I have purchased a wall mount for the screen, and some
conduit to house the cables and a stone cutter attachement for a
drill.

Not sure what your stone cutter is, but it sounds like it has the
potential to create dust in a big way. (anything angle grinder like -
i.e. rotating abrasive or diamond disc, will certainly cut a chase - but
will leave the room uninhabitable).

The neatest way I have found to chase walls without too much mess (using
machine assisted means) is with a SDS drill and an ordinary chisel bit
in it[1]. Cut a couple of parallel lines about an inch apart (or
whatever size you need), then break out the middle. The special chasing
chisels you can get for SDS drills can also work well, but I found them
more likely to dislodge large areas of skim coat if your plaster is at
all dodgy.

[1] You will still get as much mess as with a bolster and hammer
obviously, and it pays to have a good SDS with a speed control so you
can take it slowly and not spray fragments all over the place!

--
Cheers,

John.