Dave Carnell

Paint them with ethylene glycol auto antifreeze for a few weeks or until
it stops absorbing rapidly. This will prevent cracking while not
interfering with finishing or gluing. It also kills rot organisms and
insects.

Latex paints are no more water permeable than oil paints.

dean wrote:

... and I was wondering if there was a way to stop them cracking and
splitting as they dry, not that its really all that important. If I
varnish it on the end, will that slow it down enough and stop it
splitting?

Its oak wood, although the wife wants me to get some pine as it would
be lighter to move around the house if necessary.

Thanks

Dean