George

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
I was looking at some chainsaw-carved bears in Alaska. They had a
vertical chainsaw kerf up the back approx. 70% of the log thickness.
This essentially gives you two half logs and seems to control major
splits. Just a thought.

Right out of Hoadley.

Seems the best answer to me, as well. As a turner, I work green wood a lot.
End grain with the pith included is at best a crapshoot unless you soak it
in PEG or similar, and then it'll be a damp, greasy, finish-rejecting item
suitable only with a glass top. If the wife insists, go with a wood like
elm, yellow birch, or true poplar (not "Poplar"), which has interlocking
grain and stands a chance of holding if hollowed and protected during
drying.