Owen Lowe

In article r87pe.10615$ld3.3329@trnddc04,
"Henry" wrote:

There are limits to the amount of specialized forest products a person can
have without a permit (I.e. you can transport 5 Christmas trees without a
permit). The important part is that the law only affects the initial
transporter of the wood. The law provides a means for tracing the sale of
specific forest products back to the person transporting them out of the
forest. If what you are transporting is below the limits set by the law, or
if you are not selling the wood, than the law does not have much of an
effect. I don't think that this law will bother us turners to a large
degree.

Bill #1406, 2005:
http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/ViewRoot.asp?
Action=Html&Item=0&X=604221107&p=1

I didn't see any upper limits to the quantity or size or any stipulation
about selling or not. The two parts that concerned me a

(19) "Specialty wood" means wood that is:
(a) In logs less than eight feet in length, chunks, slabs, stumps, or burls;
and
(b) One or more of the following:
(i) Of the species western red cedar, Englemann spruce, Sitka spruce,
big leaf maple, or western red alder;
(ii) Without knots in a portion of the surface area at least
twenty-one inches long and seven and a quarter inches wide when
measured from the outer surface toward the center; or
(iii) Suitable for the purposes of making musical instruments or
ornamental boxes.

Realize that (a) says "logs _less_ than 8' in length" and (b) says "One
_or_ more..." It doesn't matter the size _if_ the wood is "suitable for
purposes of making... ornamental boxes". It doesn't mean that as long as
you don't make an ornamental box it's OK, it says if it's _suitable_ for
making musical instruments or ornamental boxes. Who is to determine
suitability?

Sec. 4 RCW 76.48.070 and 1995 c 366 s 6 are each amended to read as
follows:
(2) It is unlawful for any person either (a) to possess, (b) to
transport, or (c) to possess and transport within the state of
Washington any cedar products ((or)), cedar salvage, or specialty wood
without having in his or her possession a specialized forest products
permit or a true copy thereof evidencing his or her title to or
authority to have possession of the materials being so possessed or
transported. The specialized forest products permit or true copy are
valid to possess, transport, or possess and transport the cedar
products, cedar salvage, or specialty wood from the harvest site to
the first cedar or specialty wood processor or buyer. For purposes of
this subsection, a true copy requires the actual signatures of both
the permittee and the permittor for the execution of a true copy.

You'll notice (2) states possession, transportation, and possession and
transportation - mentions nothing about any act or intent to sell.

I've read the bill a few times but not being a legal eagle some of the
whereas's and heretofor's go beyond how much effort I desire to put into
figuring it all out. Also, I'm an Oregonian so at the present this
wouldn't affect me - I only offered it up for our Washington residents
and others who might be interested. If you found some size, quantity or
use limitations in the bill that might alleviate my concerns for
woodturners then please post a folllow up.