Jaime

Default New Electrical Regulations

As the OP stated the situation would be worse than for gas fitting,
frankly it will be unenforceable.

And is more likely to cause deaths I would expect. Where in the past
someone may have thought "I will install these five new sockets on a new
ring" they may now be tempted to add them as spurs to existing wiring
since that would be a "permitted" change that would not need
certification. Hence it is encouring people to make changes in way that
is less safe just so as to have them classed as minor and hence avoid
certification problems.

Also whats to stop someone doing some work in 2005 and if/when asked about
certification saying it was completed in 2003 before the regulations?

Jaime