Harold and Susan Vordos

"jtaylor" wrote in message
If I get some of that high-percentage silver solder and "tin" a piece of
brass with it, will I get a surface that can be polished and look like a
silver-plated bit of brass?

This because
a) the bit of brass is quite small;
b) silver-plating isn't done locally; and
c) mail-order kits to do silver plating are rather too expensive for this
item

No. The silver content is too low. However, if you buy solder for sterling
from a jewelry supply house, it will likely work. You may not be
successful in getting a nice, smooth layer. You might find you polish
through it. Hard to say.

Silver solder, as it applies to those of us that work in other than jewelry
shops, usually runs around 50% or so in silver, and is a light yellow color,
far from the color of silver. Silver is the whitest of all the white
metals.

Good luck!

Harold