Ted Edwards

Modat22 wrote:
I just purchased my first machine, a smithy 1220 LTD. I know the 3 in
1 machines are the underdogs in the group

Mostly macho show. You are obviously a hobbyist and really aren't
concerned too much about rate of production. I bought my smithy AT-300
(Grandfather or Great Grandfather of yours) over ten years ago. I have
it and constantly use it. Despite the screams of protest from the "buy
old 'muricun iron" crowd, I have enjoyed my Smithy, still do and expect
to continue doing so. It might be nice to have bigger lathe (like my
friends Colchester) and a Bridgeport but I have neither the space nor
the money for them. Meanwhile my projects keep getting done on the ol'
Smithy. If you want to see a couple, check out
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/paint/paint.html
http://www.metalwebnews.co m/howto/toolholder/toolholder.html
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/CYLHEAD.TXT
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/BANDSAW.txt
and particularly
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...s/BANDSAW5.jpg
for one that I thought might force me to "the machine shop" but didn't, see
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ed_reducer.pdf

Whatever, enjoy!

Ted