Ron Jones

Grunff wrote:
Chris Lewis wrote:

I don't know what the Grunff is referring to when he says "meths".
if he means methanol, he's wrong.

In the UK, you can purchase something called 'methylated spirit' or
'meths' for short. This is typically 97% ethanol, 3% methanol, and a
touch of pyridine + purple dye (to stop people drinking it).

I doubt if the purple dye (IIRC methyl violet) would stop anybody ;-) It's
the pyridine that really gives it a nose!
I wouldn't use meths for cleaning alone, as there's always the likelyhood of
leaving some dye residue. Properly denatured ethanol would be better, but I
think the Exercise men would take a dim view of retail sales - although one
can buy "duty-paid" pure ethanol (at about 75GBP per Winchester), and the
C&E probably won't bother so much (but you will be very, very much
poorer...)

Ron Jones

Don't repeat history, see unreported near misses in chemical lab/plant
at http://www.crhf.org.uk