Mike

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

I wish I had installed a heat pump and acres of plastic pipe in the
garden too.

I just wish the compressors weren't so expensive that the possibility of
getting a positive or negative payback depends on where interest rates

go.

Unfortunately, with current prices, at best you're looking at around half
the price of gas.

About that, yes. Have been looking at either driving the compressor from
our stream to avoid losses (and costs) from using an alternator followed by
an electric motor but lots of other problems to overcome.

More insulation is generally the right way to go.

Agreed - I think I'm one of Secondsandco's and Optiroc's best customers.

If you can of course, sometimes it's impractical to retrofit in an
old structure without extreme measures.

That's what they used to say on the period property website but I am quite
happy with the results. You can't 'hug the stone' inside but you don't
freeze to death looking at it anymore either. Flooring still looks the same
but there's huge amounts of Optiroc and lime underneath and the roofspaces,
though still adequately ventilated all have effective U values of under
0.075 at the bedroom ceilings.