Anna Kettle

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 02:40:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Its actually fairly not good to use bent grown timber for structures.
The assymetry of the growth makes it move in quite drastic ways under
humid/dry cycles.

The point is, that even if oil goes through the roof, oak still won't be
the material of choice.
Softwoods might be though.

Now that we have developed techniques of preserving softwood, oak has
lost one of its huge advantages of the past - durability. Nowadays
treated softwood will generally be a more practical building material

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:11:33 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Is there a big enough market ? What angle should they be and how many years
growth ?

I don't think there is a market at all and there won't be until some
rich heritage organisation hatches a plain to replicate the Mary Rose.
Then whoever has been growing a set of bent trees will coin it. Dunno
what angle. Shipbuilding and cruck houses are beyond my ken

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642