Another Phil

There is a product call 'paint stick' or paint marker' that is used in
industry. Hard to find for consumers. Oil based paint in a felt tip marker
type applicator or oil based paint mixed with wax for a crayon like stick.
I did a google search and found a supplier in UK for Markal products.

In USA, at places I have worked we used McMaster-Carr industrial supplier.
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and do a search for paint markers at their site, page 1754 of their catalog.
Item 1660T28 is a crayon stick for all weather use on wood and metal.
You must buy in box of 12 sticks, but each box is not that expensive.

Item 16625T25 is a pump action felt tip paint marker. You depress the tip
against the surface several times to charge the tip with paint.

As 'general public' I have not purchased from McMaster-Carr, I have bought
lots as an employee of various companies and can recommend them. Love their
printed catalog.

Phil

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to mark the firewood as I get it (I'm taking about 12" rounds,
not little pieces), and I'd like to be able to mark it (for example M
for maple, O for oak, etc) with a stamp of around 1-2" letters,
something that's easy and quick to do. Stamps I have seen on Northern
Tool, etc, are all max 3/8" letters for steel.

I have done some welding, and am open to ideas.

Thanks

Dean