George

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
Western Washington, where I live, lots of people use wood stoves and there
is a cottage industry of chainsaw carving. I used to haul ten cords of
wood that was sold off the University of Washington's demonstration forest
per year. They issued sale receipts, but now, it appears that I would
have to have a Sheriff's blessing on each load that I trucked out. It
would take about 20 truckloads. I didn't use a trailer. Random
enforcement is like traffic stops for a taillight out, but they ask to
search your vehicle anyway. What is it about the politicians that they
persist in trying to make criminals out of all of us. As stated above, I
think the new law is a knee-jerk response to a few occasions and perhaps
some influential ox was gored. I will be speaking with my State Senator
about this.

No doubt the permits will be combined. If you do not give consent to
search, you come under the "plain view" interpretation, or probable cause
must be furnished.

Happy to see you directing your ire against the proper source - lawmakers,
rather than law enforcement. Like Arch, I feel that the huggers probably
had a hand in this, too. Protectionism by the back door. Tough
constituency to overcome, what with "environmentalism" serving as the Roman
church served during the middle ages. Only thing tougher to fight would be
an Al Sharpton charge that harvesting wood is demographically demonstrated
as racist....