Darmok

On 5 Jun 2005 14:22:14 -0700, wrote:

XBRs came out about 1985, right after the Profeel series. I've been
told that it actually stands for Xtra Brightnes and Resolution. Video
of this type did not have a bitrate at the time.

I am an owner of the first XBR projection TV. These things sat in
stores right next to a direct view and if you got to eye level they
looked every bit as good. Mine will again because I finally found a
fresh blue CRT for it.

Remember this much, XBRs are nice sets, but there will come a time when
certain parts, including those specific to XBRs will become
unavailable, then XBR means Xtra Bunch of Rubbish. It would by no means
be the first time.

Be careful what you spend, and never buy an RCA. FWIW, in my particular
area the 32" tubes seem to be dropping like flies, you might want to
decide between a 27 and a 36.

For maximum longevity, turn the picture control all the way down when
you turn it off, it seems the AKB pushes too hard causing cathode
stripping. These sets have multiple picture memories, you can actually
name one "turnoff". You could also switch to an unused video input,
then wait two minutes after turning the set on to "crank it".

JURB

Those are some good tips. Thanks for the input.