Tom

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

My link was screwed up somehow. I don't have time to fix it tonight. Your
scan is better than mine, anyway. Mine came out too dark.

I always thought this pic looked like it was of an early Al Qaeda training
site. Where did you get your set of Knight's?

"Tom" wrote in message
Bob Chilcoat wrote:

Hey Tom,

Do you have a copy of Knight's Dictionary? I have one too. Three

volumes.
A great set of books. I bought mine from an antique store in Wales when

was in graduate school in the 70's. Great fun to look through. Whoever

had
my copy originally was involved in the shipping industry. He made a lot

of
pencil notes in the margins for listings related to steamship design.

This is my favorite plate:
http://www.geocities.com/viewptmd/GatlingGun.tif/ listed under "Battery
Gun".

"Tom" wrote in message

An "Oldham Coupler" is way to transfer torque between two parallel

but
not-quite-collinear shafts. It has three disks, one coupled to the
input, one coupled to the output, and a middle disk that is joined

the first two by tongue and groove. The tongue/groove on one side

is
perpendicular to the tongue/groove on the other. Often springs are
used to reduce backlash of the mechanism. The coupler is much

more
compact than, say, two universal joints. But: who was Mr. Oldham?
Google searches turn up the device's inclusion in R-390A radios and
astronomical instruments, but nothing about its inventor. Tim.

(who
otherwise wonders who takes care of the caretaker's daughter while

the
caretaker's busy taking care.)

Knight's "American Mechanical Dictionary" of 1872 says that it was
invented by Oldham...So it goes back a ways.

Tom

That's a real classic!
Couldn't get your link to work, so I put a scan he
http://shopswarf.orcon.net.nz/gatling.jpg

Tom

Lions book sale, $5 :-)

Tom