DanG

If they're a bit too stiff, here is one solution I have used.

Put the jaws in a vise with the handles up in the air. No need to
clamp the vise tight, just close. Grab one handle in each hand
and twist them clockwise and counterclockwise. You won't hurt the
Kleins. Give them a little lube and try them out. If they are
still tight, repeat. Another thing that would help would be to
cut a dozen or so 16 penny nails, but I don't know if your hands
can take it.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I just indulged myself and bought a pair of Klein 9" side cutting
pliers. They seem very stiff to me. It is quite awkward,
difficult even, to open them with one hand. Is this something
that I can loosen up by working them, or is it a defect that I
should return them for?

I know that "stiff" means "freedom from looseness", but this is
a bit much.

Thanks,
Bob