Ed Sirett

Default dodgy plumbing?

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:05:37 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:43:36 +0100, BigWallop wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message
Hi all,

snipped
Thanks for any advice.

Derek.

Are you sure that the Hydrodare isn't just lagging around 15mm copper
pipe ? As far as I know, Hydrodare, especially at that diameter (2'')
is soft lagging and not actually water carrying pipework.

Hi,

Positive, sorry it was not that clear from the mail the hydrodare is
pushed 2 inches onto the end of the copper pipe (not 2 inch hydrodare
diameger). No the copper makes the hydrodare stiff where it is pushed over
- there is a noticable buldge in the hydrodare where it stops and then it
is "bendy" heading down towards the kitchen sink. I think this is
hydrodare, just a black plastic water carrying pipe with blue text.

Thanks,

Derek.

Then you should warn your neighbours. :-)) The only thing I can think of is that the
plumbing is buried in a wall cavity and hydrodare is being used as a protective
barrier for copper pipe inside it. Normal water carrying pipework is normally done in
thick wall blue coloured polypropylene pipe for mains use. But I could be totally
wrong. Hydrodare pipe is normally very rigid and is used as protection for cables and
/ or pipes as they pass through concrete or brickwork.

I'm unfamiliar with the term hydrodare is this the same as the black
plastic pipe favoured in the 60s/70s? for mains water?

I don't think this is the same as the black plastic water pipe favoured in
the 60s&70s. As that stuuf is nominal 1/2" ID.
What you have sounds much more like a 'hose'.

If this were my own house I would probably stick a jubilee clip on the
join and put foam lagging (aka donkey dong) on and forget it.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk