Art

May consider the value of the yoke ringing caps in the input and return
circuits??
"Chris F." wrote in message
I was just thinking the same thing, I will give that a try and see what
happens.

Chris
"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Chris F." wrote in message
This must be one of those "really desperate to fix it" projects. A

little
9" color TV/radio combo I picked up in the trash, had a badly burned

yoke.
was able to isolate and insulate the shorted windings, but disturbing

the
windings threw the convergence way off and the yoke was still as
useless

as
ever. Now I just happened to have a good yoke from an identical CRT
(27GDC85X), however it was designed for a completely different set. I
installed it anyway, the vertical windings are a perfect match but the
horizontal ones have too low an impedence - causes high-voltage
shutdown
unless powered with a Variac. I determined that the original yoke H

winding
was about 13.2 ohms, and the replacement yoke H winding is about 3.9. A

bold
idea came to mind; wind an impedence-matching transformer from an old
flyback core and some magnet wire. I have several pounds of AWG 27 and

38
magnet wire that I could do this with. The question is: do I need a 1:1
turns ratio? I suspect I do, this means that the two windings would
have

the
same number of turns but use different wire gauges.
Think this would work? I know it's a lot more trouble than the old
set

is
worth, but I'm not exactly busy these days and I hate to junk such a

nice
set. 9"-ers are not abundant in my supply, so it's certainly worth an

hour
or twos work to get this going.
Thanks for any advice.

More the the impedance is the inductance. Try winding an inductor and
placing it in series with the yoke, that may well work.