RAM^3

"shedfull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Evening to you all,

I have been given an old 3 inch m/vice which is badly seized with rust.
I was wondering what would be the best way to restore it?

First thoughts were penetrating oil, but that's not not doing much
good, I could set up a de-rusting bath.(bat charger etc)
The sq thread and nut seem in good condition so I think its worth
saving.

What say you?

Take a sealable metal container (that will accept the vise) and place the
vise inside.

Cover with Brake Cleaner and let sit for a day or 3, externally agitating
[swirling the container] whenever you think of it.

Remove the vise and let it dry in a well-vented area.

Knock off as much rust from the screw threads as possible with a soft brass
brush.

Return the vise to the Brake Cleaner for an hour or two, then dry it again.

Apply a good penetrating oil to all threaded surfaces and let sit for a
while, then try loosening. [Use more if required.]

Disassemble and repeat Brake Cleaner to remove oil and rust within cavities.

Treat parts with a good rust-killer and reassemble.

Worked for me.