Terry

Garbage disposal!
Useless devices IMHO; today we too compost. Although the heap sometimes
freezes during the winter. Heap also produces worms for trout fishing. Worms
flourish on discarded banana skins, potato peelings, other kitchen discards
of the non-meat variety along with last year's raked leaves.
Recall semi amusing event:
About 48 years ago someone gave us a brand new under sink mounting 'Garbage
Disposal' unit. It had about a third HP 115 volt 60 Hertz motor!
Installed it in the 35 by 8 foot house trailer we then lived in. Worked fine
until the sewer line blocked.
Not knowing line was blocked, or perhaps in an attempt to blow the
obstruction down the pipe towards the septic tank, I forget which, I
switched it on, fully loaded with water and with the tap running!
Result was a jet of water and other 'unmentionable stuff' straight up out of
the vent pipe in roof of the trailer.
A neighbour said "It WAS quite sight".
So was the clean up! Ever try cleaning sprayed 'cr*p' off the aluminium
siding, roof and windows of a trailer (caravan)?

I replaced the garbage disposal in my mother's house (in Pennsylvania) a
few months ago.

Good things; Huge individual circuit breaker panel easily available in
the kitchen, so no grovelling under the stairs and having to switch off
an entire ring to isolate the garbage disposal.

You wouldn't in the UK either. It would have been either plugged into the
ring, or isolated by a double pole FCU, etc.

Good point. We've never had one, on account of having a compost heap.