stuart noble

Default Damp on chimney in bedroom... condensation?

Lago Jardin wrote in message ...
Hi
I live in Spain but still have my house in Leeds. There is an external
chimney which runs from the kitchen (the old fireplace has been bricked up)
through a bedroom to the roof. Before I bought the house it was capped

below
the roof tiles. In the bedroom I have quite sever damp, following the line
of the chimney(on the flat wall as the chimney is external). This does not
show in the kitchen which is below the bedroom. I am pretty sure no water

is
getting in either through the wall into the chimney or through the top (it
is well sealed). There is an inspection point into the chimney about 5 foot
above ground level on the outside (now covered with a vent). I have put a
small vent in the bedroom directly into the chimney.I thought the problem
might be condensation which is why I put in the vents. The house is
now empty and without heating the problem has become much worse. I have a
tenant moving in very soon.

My Agent for the house asked a local builder to call and he seemed to

advise
the opposite to what I did...to totally brick up all vents. I always
understood that u need an air circulation within the chimney.

So do I need more ventilation or none???

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Nigel Smith
Torrevieja
Alicante Spain

I think the rule is that if the chimney is capped (and sealed) you have no
vents at all. If it just has a ridge tile or something over the top, you
should have vents.
That said, I still get a bit of damp on internal breasts due, I think, to
the single course of brick between the inside of the chimney and the
elements.
Not something you have to worry about down your way I hope. Isn't Alicante
supposed to have the best climate in Europe? Beats Malaga by a short head
IIRC.