Not only does lime burning require a much lower temperature than
Portland cement manufacture, the carbon dioxide driven off in the
limestone to quicklime reaction is reabsorbed from the atmosphere as
the lime mortar sets by carbonation. So, overall, lime mortar has a
lower climate change impact than Portland cement.

Oak trees are growing faster than they are being used, in Britain and
across the Continent. I'm growing some bent ones for you Anna - hope
you live to 150! It's no good saying there is more oil left than oak.
Oil doesn't grow on trees and the best guess is that oil production
will peak very soon, if it hasn't already, and from then on supply will
fall short of demand no matter how high the price goes. See
http://www.peakoil.net/

Linseed oil paint is lovely to use. It is the only paint I use on the
oak windows that I make, if they get painted at all. Get the Sweedish
Allback paint from Holkham Paints:
http://www.holkham.co.uk/linseedpaints/
or Peter Maitland-Hood makes it at The Real Paint and Varnish Co:
http://www.realpaints.com/

Interesting stuff about copperas at:
http://www.eng-h.gov.uk/archcom/proj...l97_8/2059.htm

We use straw to heat our house. It costs us 60p per bale delivered to
our barn.