Ken Sterling

Ken Sterling wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
Trace that circuit. It may also go through some thermally
tripped switches on the contactor, to drop power when it draws too much
current -- such as when the saw stalls, or when one of a three-phase
feed is open. (Is this powered from three phase?)

Heaters are open circuit it doesn't start when you push the start button,
can't be the heaters. - GWE

Maybe I'm mis-understanding - heaters are closed circuit. The
contacts close, current flows through the contact tips, then through
the heaters to the motor windings. If the motor draws too much
current, then the heaters (bimetal springs) trip open and shut down
the current. Heaters can't heat up unless current is flowing through
them. Sometimes a coil wire is fed through a heater so when it trips
out the coil drops out and opens the contactor.

I think what Grant meant by "Heaters are open circuit it doesn't start
when you push the start button, can't be the heaters" is, "If the
heaters are open circuit it won't start" and "since it does start, it
can't be the heaters."
-jiw

Okay, things are getting a little confusing - the original poster said
that the table saw RUNS when you HOLD IN the push button.... and
my original comment to that post was that he should check the
continuity across the stop button contacts as they may have sawdust in
them or something to keep them from making their normally closed
circuit status.
Ken.