RAM^3

"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"Tom Miller" wrote in message

"RAM^3" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in message
news:0CKme.1378$4p.91@fed1read03...
In the 70's oilboom, the workers were called "oilfield trash" by
onlookers.

An International Society was formed, and had belt buckles, hats,
shirts,
and all sorts of things.

I have two belt buckles.

I worked in the Gulf of Mexico from 1974 to 1980, then again in
1993,
and
a couple of hitches in Nigeria.

Are there any other alumni here, or people who worked oilfield who
didn't
get to get a t shirt?

Steve

Almost: went "legit" back in the '60s.

Second Generation: Dad was an Engineer with Schlumberger from '46
'till
he
died in '59 and I worked in their Houston Headquarters from '65 - '68.

I was working there when they created "Schlumberger Limited" and

renamed
their original operation "Schlumberger Well Services".

They had a reputation of being a fantastic company to work for in those
days. They were good to work for in my day(early 70"s), but the old

hands
used to tell stories about how well the Schlumberger family used to

treat
them. They always went first class!

Tom

You can believe the oldtimers' stories. Pierre and Marcel were definitely

on
the "good guy" list although the kids were much more status-conscious.

FWIW, I was, probably, the only kid that ever wanted his room painted
"Schlumberger Blue" [with ~3" of white just below the white ceiling].

It's *still* my favorite color.

--
"Sanity is *vastly* overrated - and rarely useful!"

You could recognize the vehicles anywhere at half a mile distance

Yep! Dark Blue with a White roof.

That started in ~1955. Before that, until '52, they didn't issue company
cars and, '52- '54, there was no color scheme.

In '53 and '53 they issued Pontiacs and, in '54, they issued Mercurys. Dad
always swore that the Oil Companies should have *given* those Mercuries away
with the "catch" that the recipient buy all their gas from the donor: they
were real gas hogs that used a lot of oil, too!

In '55 he got a White/Blue Chevy and, in '57, he got his last car before he
died - a White/Blue '57 Ford equipped with the latest Optional Safety
Accessory: 3" wide seat belts with Aluminum Cam-Action buckles. [See? *Some*
metal content here!G]