Doctor Evil

"Anna Kettle" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:59:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andrew Firebarce are giooid on structural calcs. The BCO will take their
word for it.

Don't know them but will squirrel the name away for future reference.
Where are they based?

Well you know Anna, there are two ways to do things: let the damp in and
arrange for it to get out outwards, or not let it in at all barely, and
let it migrate inwards and have a bit of internal heating and

ventilation.

Your way is number one, but I see no problem with modern ways to
insulate/heat/ventilate and put a waterproof skin outside- you need that
anyway to get rid of the water that humans give off.

You got me thinking about the differences between the two building
methods and I came up with

Traditional:
Breatheable
Slightly flexible
Eco friendly ... man

Modern:
Impermeable

Modern homes are impermeable? Please.

Rigid
High embodied energy

Straw bales sit firmly in the traditional zone on the ecofriendly
front, being bio and degradable. On reflection I can't see a problem
using them under an impermeable skin so maybe there is potential for
crossover there, but the design would have to be thought through with
care if they are to be loadbearing cos they will definitely not be
rigid and impermeable is only any good if it stays that way

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download