Han

Glen wrote in news:Flgoe.685$HM.633
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

For those who don't remember - During W.W.II, Howard Metzenbaum was
an attorney representing the Communist Party in the USA.

I don't understand what one thing has to do with another. Are you saying
that criminals are not allowed to have attorneys? Or catholics? Or
people who disagree with you?

FWIW, I regard John Glenn as a real American success story, and have the
utmost respect for him. I also have great respect for anyone like Howard
Metzenbaum who would stand up for misrepresented and downtrodden people.
While I disagree with the tenets of communism, I can't have much feeling
for robber barons either.

With regard to your question about my English teacher, in my recollection
he was an unassuming middleaged man trying to get British English into a
bunch of Dutch kids in a high school in Wageningen, The Netherlands, the
town I grew up in. For your education, this is near where the fighting
was heaviest between May 10 and 15, 1940, when the Dutch army held the
German invaders for a while. And again near the location of Opeartion
Market Garden ("A bridge too far") starting September 17, 1944. The
Germans surrendered to the Allies in Wageningen on May 5th, 1945.

I would like to add that I fully support the troops we (I'm a naturalized
American citizen now) have in the Middle East. Nevertheless, I think our
commander-in-chief has been less than completely honest about the reasons
for going into Iraq, either through ignorance or through denial of the
real facts there. Moreover, and more importantly, whoever was responsible
for the plans for what was going to happen after the initial fighting was
over deserves to be crucified for his stupidities.

I agree with this quote:
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except
all the others that have been tried."

Winston Churchill

Obviously, in the free world, others are allowed differing opinions grin
--
Best regards
Han