Speedy Jim

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:
I have an older GE Dishwasher (about 15 years old) that still works fine. I
am having my counters, sink, disposal, and faucet fixture replaced soon. The
over flow for the dishwasher is directed to a spout sort of thing on top of
the sink, next to the faucet. The main out flow for the dish washer goes to
a port on the disposer. The new sink has a four hole configuration (three
for water, one for accessories). Can I safely plumb the dishwasher without
an overflow? Is there another means for providing an overflow other than a
spout on top of the sink? Could the overflow be connected to the drain in
the other side of the sink (non disposer side of a two well sink)? SWMBO
really wants to put a soap dispenser in the new sink. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Les

Not an overflow. Technically, it is an "air gap" device.
The purpose is to prevent waste water (from the disposal/sink drain)
from backing up *into* the dishwasher during a drain cloggage,
as an example. The air gap precludes siphon action occurring.
Many cities require their installation.

If not required, an alternative (not quite as positive)
is to create a loop in the dishwasher outlet hose which
rises under the counter as high as possible before going
down to the disposal.

Jim