Owen Lowe

Default New law in Washington: transporting wood

The following newspaper article was circulated around our chapter
meeting the other night. Since we're close to WA as well as have several
members from southern Washington it was of importance to the membership.
Anyone heard any more about this new law to take effect on July 1? Any
idea on how this would even be enforced with firewood cutters, helping
out a neighbor, roadside ditch scavenging, etc?

Seems cumbersome and not very workable. If it's just targeting BL
Maples, are deputies going to be schooled in recognizing pieces from the
bark or green wood? Who determines what constitutes "specialty wood"?
How much figure is too much? While I can see and understand the
frustration and anger of those who have lost property to tree rustlers,
it seems to me there could be a more workable solution addressing the
wholesale and retail of such wood.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/226446_maplethieves31.html

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Poachers target maple trees for their 'figured' wood
Law seeks to halt theft of timber used in fiddles, guitars

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Snip of the full article but take note of the last paragraphs:
Officials hope a new law taking effect July 1 will help curtail illegal tree
harvesters.

The measure requires a permit for transporting "specialty wood," which
includes logs of less than 8 feet, free of knots, which can be turned into
musical instruments or ornamental boxes.

The permit must be signed by the owner and identify the person's property. It
also must be endorsed by the sheriff's office and kept with the wood during
transport. When the law goes into effect, any person transporting specialty
wood without a permit would be in immediate violation of the law. Officers
may seize the wood along with the vehicle and tools.