Peter Parry

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:00:08 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote

continental
practice is to have far fewer sockets than are installed in UK
houses. As a result the use of extension cords and multiadapters is
far more common and these pose a far greater threat than fixed wiring
of any type ever will.

[snip]

But German extension adaptors are well controlled and so aren't that
dangerous

You jest? I've got a box full of the damn things. Some are simply
PVC and will happily burn at any opportunity (Don't forget it was the
Germans who insisted on _lower_ flammability standards for TV's in
the EU than apply anywhere else in the world.) You really think a 12
gang unfused extension I bought in Germany is safe? Have you ever
known a Shuko plug carry 16A without getting so hot it hurt to touch
it?

so whilst the rest of Europe is rewired it would be a good idea to do us as
well.

Apart from the fact that even the well bribed dimwits in Brussels are
not contemplating _rewiring_ anything that is the most facile
argument since lunchtime.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/