Badger

Appin wrote:

But guns had to be licensed before anyway, and only the tiniest
fraction of the population in the UK have the slightest interest in
owning a gun of any sort and those who would want a handgun are a mere
"handful".

57,000 approx. or 0.1% of the population.
I was one of that 0.1% who had legal handguns, the ~8,000 pounds (about
$14,500 US) compensation paid for a new kitchen and half the wifes
secondhand 4x4, most of the money was for reloading gear, brass and the
like.
The 6 guns were a .22 single shot precision target pistol, .32 berreta
(uncles leaving present from H.M. gov'ts VIP protection service), S&W
66, Pre WW1 colt 1911, S&W .455 WW1 officers name engraved revolver and
a S&W .44 mag with the 8" barrel and optics barely made 1200 pounds of
the total, they returned my speedloader blocks and my 1911 compensator,
even though they have no other use.
Of course lots more people would have liked to have had handguns, but
the law put too many barriers in the way of them doing so legally.

Handguns however are not completely banned, certain historic metallic
cartridge guns, hunters/vets and others requiring the means to kill
animals can still have them. Muzzle loading guns are also still legal,
though my 3 legal and registered flintlock pistols seem to be causing
some angst to the police at the moment.

Illegal handguns however are plentiful according to some police officers
I meet.

Now, the ban on kids owning pocket knives is something that does make
life difficult for guys -- can't even buy a Stanley knife or chisel!

Can't buy, but not banned from owning, our Scouts still have pocket
knives, though some stupid people think non-locking folding blades are
suitable....Fixed or locking, you don't want it to close on YOU whilst
your using it!

Niel, also a Scout leader.