Larry Jaques

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:32:26 -0700, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC
spake:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Varnish is MUCH easier to repair than poly. Sand and re-brush it.
Not a prob. It sands easily but does tend to gum up the sandpaper
more quickly. Don't sand until it's REALLY dry. Use a stearated paper
and clean any residues off prior to brushing again.

This is true Sea-less -- most folks don't let the varnish, or lacquer

I may be sea-less but we have a nice river here in GP, Owie. I got to
see the little hydroplanes race last weekend. That was fun. I can't
believe they're so much louder than the uncorked headers on the V-8s
of the sprint and marathon boats. But to see one of those hydros and
then think back to when I was standing 100' away from the big muthuhs
on Mission Bay (Sandy Eggo) makes me laugh. Miss Budweiser was about
5n times larger and sported a jet turbine engine putting out about
150 times as much power and moving over twice as fast; 75mph vs. Miss
Bud's near-200mph. They deserved their name, the Thunderboats.
An oldie: http://www.thunderboats.org/80bud.shtml
http://www.thunderboats.org/2004/tri...ities_009.html

Oh, to stay on topic, these probably have an epoxy resin finish rather
than varnish or lacquer.

for that matter, cure long enough prior to anything but between-coats
scuff sanding. Off onto a different area of varnishes and lacquer - but
to level and buff to a high gloss one ought to wait as long as possible
for the finish to fully cure. I go by a rule of waiting at least 30 days
and will hold off longer if I can put off the final rubbing out.

Yabbut, who ever heard of waiting more than 20 minutes between coats?
Nearly every finishing problem (other than staining crap) I've heard
of has been caused either by improper prep work or by the person NOT
waiting for it to dry properly, generally the latter. SWMBOs nag, life
calls, and the project is instantly ruined, at least for a while.

If the varnish or lacquer sanding dust collects into little pills and
gums the paper instead of merely turning to a white powder then the
finish is still too soft to effectively sand.

Ayup.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-